Thursday, October 20, 2005

How bout them Knicks?

This morning, the guy in front of me was painfully trying to engage the deli dude. It was like watching a first-date, where one of the participants has been forced at gunpoint to show.

Random Guy: Are these scales new?
Deli Dude: No.
Random Guy: I've never noticed them before.
Deli Dude: We've had them for over a year.
Random Guy: Oh...What do you think of the Knicks this year?
Deli Dude: I really don't watch basketball.
Random Guy: ....
Deli Dude: Is that it?
Random Guy: Um, yeah.
* Random Guy then slinks away into the cream cheese section.

From the deli dude's perspective, I can see how you just lose patience at some point. If I had to have 40+ conversations every day on the Yankees, with people who are secretly glad they don't have my job, I would be pretty surly too. I might even go postal. On the other hand, I felt sorta bad for the random guy. Public rejection just blows. Which then raises the question? In an uber-classed society like New York, is it better to make lame attempts at friendliness, or to just tacitly acknowledge the status quo by doing your business without meaningless pleasantries?

It's like I recently saw a couple say to their doorman "we're so glad you're here tonight!" The doorman rolled his eyes at me, and was like "duh...where else would I be, it's my frickin job." Similarly, during my short-lived stint as a bar back, a patron commented that "you're really good at opening those bottles, do you have to practice?" Since I figured he was a nice person on the inside, I refrained from replying "It's funny you should ask! It took me a while to figure out how to do it without the two brain cells that I need for breathing!" As it was, I didn't.

He left me a big tip.

Ms. J

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cmon J, that guy was hitting on you.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ask me to tell you the number of free sandwiches i've had over the years by putting moves on deli guys. of course, this guy was clearly an amateur; everyone knows that deli guys are baseball fans.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Mark said...

I personally feel that servants should appreciate when those of us of a higher class pretend that, we too, care about plebeian matters like basketball. That deli man should be grateful for any attention we give him. Right?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

LOL...and yes, most New Yorkers tend to just keep it moving. Remember the soup nazi on Seinfeld? No time for small talk.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous TheSuze said...

Hey, that deli guy might be smarter and better educated than all of us. The summer I waited tables I had to explain what blue cheese was to one of my tables; of course they educated me on Mr. Pib's, so maybe I'm undermining my own point.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home