Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What to say?

I was taking the train this morning, and someone tried to steal my iPod. I wouldn't have noticed it, had an elderly couple sitting across from me not whispered "she's in your bag." I turned to my right, and sure enough, a rather large woman had her hand in the pocket my iPod was tucked into. Caught a bit off guard, I let out a bit of a yelp. The would-be thief hastily removed her hand. She then looked at me and said "you scared me!" Instinctively, I mumbled "sorry..." and stared at her dumbly. She then got off the train at the next stop. It occurred to me later that I had just apologized to someone who attempted to steal from me. This once again confirms that there are certain social situations that happen on the train that you can never be prepared for. Ex-boyfriend, highschool teacher, old boss, pickpocket--all situations that Miss Manners never addressed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Berry said...

OMG, if you had categories to your blog that would be filed under NY moments! Glad someone spoke out. Too many times we watch things happend and keep out mouths shut. Guess I wasn't just passing through after all. Thanks for dropping by the blog :-)

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

And you apologized for preventing her from stealing it?! Way to stick up for yourself, J! ;)

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home