Friday, December 09, 2005

Wanted: Sidekick Posse

Recently, while watching VH1's "Best of 2005," I came across one of this year's most bizarre cultural highlights. Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Girls. http://www.harajuku-lovers.com/.

For those, like me, who missed Harajuku the first time around--a brief synopsis. The Harajuku Girls are four Japanese women who serve as a posse for pop-artist Gwen Stefani. They appear in her music videos, they accompany her on the red carpet, and they've even been known to vogue a bit behind her during interviews.

When the Harajuku Girls first appeared, they were met with some intense opposition. http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2005/04/09/geisha/. Rather than get into my personal opinion of their significance, I would instead like to focus on one aspect that everyone can agree on: THIS IS A BIZARRE JOB. How exactly does one interview for such a position? Was there a posting on Monster? Did people send resumes? What do you file as on your tax form?

My parents have a hard enough time understanding my career as it is, I can't imagine trying to sell them on this. I can see my dad now, "So, let me get this straight. You'll wear children's clothing, you'll dance, and your boss will refer to you as 'Angel.'..." I don't even want to picture how that conversation would end.

All of that said, I have to admire Ms. Stefani for her pluck. This just further shows us that celebrities can do just about anything. With enough money, you can even find someone willing to be your "cultural reference." Who knew?

Ms. J

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

I'm sure Gwen hired those four Japanese girls thinking she was just getting a massage and, you know, one thing led to another and now she can't get them out of her mind . . . we've all been there.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Luke said...

When Ms. J and her husband come to visit us in Japan, they may find that the Harajuku Girls barely hold a candle to the Harajuku girls

We miss you!

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home