Friday, February 10, 2006

Code Name J

If products are measured by the degree to which they improve your quality of life, then my iPod is the best thing I’ve bought in years. The iPod’s ascent to my most treasured possession has to do with the single fact that it provides a soundtrack for my life. What can I say, everything sounds better in stereo.

I’ve recently taken to techno music during my commute. Although it may seem a bit odd to be bobbing along to club tunes at 9 am, I find that it makes my daily grind seem much more glamorous. It makes me feel more than glamorous. It makes me feel like a spy.

I’ve never been particularly coordinated. Crowded into a subway car, trying not to jostle anyone, and desperately hoping to keep myself upright--I consider it a success if no one loses an eye on the way uptown. Which is why, a Matrix-esque soundtrack appeals to me. No matter how clumsy I may be, the music makes me feel invincible. Forget about the guy who elbowed me on his way in, he’s lucky I don’t whip out a flying roundhouse kick. Throbbing bass in my ears, I imagine myself hovering mid-air, cloaked in a long black trench. Crammed into some sweaty stranger’s arm pit, I allow the music to take me to a better place. It’s a place where I wear dark glasses. It’s a place where I annihilate alien agents. It’s a place where Keanu Reeves hangs out. Overall, it’s a place where I kick ass.

Although I haven’t tried it myself, my husband tells me that listening to music during work has the same effect. He spends a lot of time in front of the computer, and techno makes him feel like he’s breaking enemy code. We admittedly might be escapist, but as far as we can tell, life is much better with a back beat. It’s like being in a movie. The best part being, we’re the star.

Ms. J

2 Comments:

Blogger Berry said...

"he’s lucky I don’t whip out a flying roundhouse kick." LOL!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Alissa said...

hehe. so true. :) for those of us who live in the 'burbs, driving to work with good tunes is the same way.

In case you want some variety, my favorite non-techno songs to feel Bad-Ass to:
-Groove Armada, Suntoucher
-the entire Jay-Z/Linkin Park Collision Course album

And to put a grin on my face:
-Dimitri from Paris, After the Playboy Mansion Mix, "An Uplifiting Selection" (the last 10 min or so are the best :)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home